“Accept” is a verb, an action, a receiving.
- as a preposition leaves someone or something out. Put a big “X” over what follows.
- can also be a verb, but not commonly
- sometimes functions as a conjunction between two main clauses
- not a FANBOYS, so no comma before it when combining clauses
- Everyone except (X) the teacher accepted the mouse in her drawer as funny.
- (“except” = preposition, not including; “accepted” = verb, considered)
- The club will accept all new students except (X) for Martians.
- (“accept” = verb, allowed to enter; “except” = preposition, not including)